Monday, October 20, 2014

How to Get a Job: Attempt to Launch Something

Last week I was in my office when a gentleman whom I did not know appeared in my doorway.  He was not there to see me but was knocking on the door of my colleague who's office is across the hall.  I introduced myself and he turned out to be an Elon Alumni coming back to campus for Homecoming.  He works for marketing company, so I invited him to come chat with my Marketing class which was starting later that day.

One takeaway.  As Peter was interviewing for the position the interviewer said, "If you were going to launch a new product, what would it be?"  Peter responded, "Actually I'm working on building an app right now."  The interviewer was very impressed with that and eventually offered him a job. 

Fast forward.  That app idea didn't work out but going through that process shows companies that you are innovative and driven.  Now Peter is doing well at his company.

No comments: