Monday, March 9, 2009

Embrace Social Media: A Note to the Healthcare Industry


To Health Care Professionals:

After conversations with a few medical professionals including a neurosurgeon and a VP of Marketing of a hospital system about social media, I've come to the following conclusion:
Healthcare professionals must embrace social media and not attempt to "stretch forth their puny arm to stop the Missouri River."

I almost laughed when I read that Medical Justice "advices doctors to have each patient sign the non-disclosure agreement–and if the patient refuses, to turn him away." Seriously what would happen if a patient signed the form then logged on to Angie's List to post a negative comment? Would Medical Justice advise suing the patient? The media (including social media) would have field day.

Now I must also admit that I'm not a doctor and I know there are many complicated doctor type situations that need to be consideration when using social media. But at this point every organization (especially health care) needs to realize that social media is unstoppable and if they attempt to fight it, they will lose.

No comments: