Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mayo Clinic vs. Ohio County (KY) Hospital


In a previous post I discussed a conversation I had with the CEO of a hospital in a rural area of Kentucky (or as I like to tell my wife, "God's country"). We were discussing the value of social computing in his organization and I honestly did not have a one minute answer that would make him run and jump into social computing.

Thankfully David Payne, COO of InHouseAssist, shed some light on the subject after finding my blog via a Gooogle search of "Hospital CEO using twitter." Here are David's words:

"Social computing offers something different. It allows talent to evaluate those in my profession based upon our ideas and approach to our work and while tied together in a community loosely, one need not commit until really ready. Social computing allows talent to evaluate opportunities in the market when they want and with who they want. And if you're in rural America you can now compete for the same talent as the Mayo Clinic as long as you can pull talent into your loose network and educate them about what advantages exist for them in that particular community."



It's the classic David and Goliath story. Social computing is David's stone that can bring down the giant. (Photo courtesy of the Guam Museum)

No comments: